Thursday, April 3, 2014

Taylor's Mistake Day Hike


Here is a picture of me just up the hill from Taylor's Mistake beach.  All of the rock behind me is volcanic, and the erosional pattern is due to the different hardness of the rock.  The rock sticking out is harder then the rock further in towards the cliff. This area is considered have one of the nicest beaches in the Christchurch area and is only just a bus ride away from my school.  I will definitely be returning here throughout my trip.

 

This tide pool was located just behind where the previous picture was.  This place was amazing because I found so many different intertidal animals such as starfish (Bottom Right), kelp (Bottom Left), chitons (Top Right), muscles, limpets (Top Left), barnacles and anemones.  The environment here is very similar to some parts of the california coast.  During the high tide all of this area would be covered.  It was amazing to get to compare the species that I see in Florida (The Atlantic) to those in New Zealand (The Pacific).  It is moments like this one that make me realize how much I love Marine Biology.

No comments:

Post a Comment