I got to go to Willowbank Wildlife reserve which is not to far from my school in Christchurch. At the reserve there were many different species of New Zealand birds, lizards, geckos, frogs, and even a live dinosaur. A tour guide showed us around and then we got a traditional Maori welcome where a tribe showed us several tribal dances, and rituals.
This is a Tuatara, which believe it or not is actually one of the closest living species to dinosaurs, and are only found in New Zealand. They are not considered a lizard because they lack ear holes. It has been said that they can live up to three hundred years old. This may be one of the coolest animals I have ever seen.
While at the reserve I got to see the Kiwi bird, but they are nocturnal, so I couldn't get a good picture of one.
Here is a picture of a Rainbow trout, which isnt native to New Zealand, but was introduced by the Europeans as a game fish. I thought Grandad would like this picture. I would like to do some fly fishing while I am here, as I hear it is some of the best in the world.
Here is a picture of the Maori tribe that welcomed us. They were very nice people and have very interesting dances and rituals.
No comments:
Post a Comment